Sunday 3 July 2011

Sunday/funday - Or Punk Day

The doctors came in today and told Dani that this was the part of the hospital stay that they call "punky" when you really don't feel well at all for about a week.  Horray!  We're on day two of that!  She asked if she could dress like Punky Brewster, but they didn't encourage that, but we had discussed the colored stripes in her hair, that's pretty punky, right?  Her throat is really hurting, the morphine didn't seem to be doing too much, so they have changed her PCA to something called dilaudid.  It is supposed to be stronger than morphine.  It has made her sleepy, but we don't know yet how it affects the pain.  They have hooked up a suction wand for her.  It's kind of like what the dentist uses to suction your mouth while he is working on you, but she says it helps get rid of some of the mucus.

So, we are here enjoying the beautiful scene outside our window and suffering in silence.  Unfortunately, only Dani is suffering.  I feel just fine.  There is only so much to be done, and the nurses and doctors are doing it. 

I talked with a woman in the family room here at lunch time today.  I noticed they have a cot in the room and that someone is always with the patient.  I asked if they were staying at night, and she explained that she and her 19 year old son are here with the patient who is her 21 year old son.  He was diagnosed with a rare form of caner just before he turned 19, and has been under treatment for the last 18 months.  He will be having a "Tandem" transplant, his own cells will be harvested and given to him and then he will recover from that for a while and then he will have a transplant with his father as donor.  I guess we don't ever have to look far to find someone with more problems than we have.  We feel very positive that Dani will recover from this process and hopefully never have to go through anything like this again. 

The Elders quorum president and his wife came by again today and made sure we got the sacrament.  I asked that the bread be broken into "tiny" pieces, and she did swallow it and a bit of water.  That means a lot to us. So we will see how she feels later and maybe yet do a craft of take a walk, or if not, we will do both another day.  Thanks again for all your love and support.

Bye for now

MOM

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! So I was wondering if it would be possible to come and see Dani? I would love to be there for her and maybe even make her laugh. I work in North Seattle and could come early evenings or on the weekends. I could even give you a break Mrs. Coles! Please let me know. You can e-mail me at lindsbranheidel@hotmail.com or call/text me @ (206) 778-9410

    Lindsey (Putzier) Heidel

    I went to high school with Dani and was in New D's and played the piano for her at festivals (just in case you guys don't recognize my married name) :)

    ReplyDelete