Wednesday 1 June 2011

First day down, many to go.

Yup, that's right. The first day of poking and prodding is finito. Whew. :) To tell you the truth though, it wasn't so bad.  My first appointment was at 11:15 and I actually showed up a little early. I checked in and was sent off to get my blood drawn. To say the least, I don't think that I have any blood left. No really, they took something about 15 HUGE vials o' blood. Next to where I and the technician were sitting, there was this little blue button on the wall, all innocent looking. :) It had two simple little words.... Code Blue. Of course we all know what that means, yes? So, me being the innocent gal that I am, simply ask... "What would happen if I pushed that button?" After a very nervous look from the technician, he answered... "You would VERY quickly become the most important person in this room." After me explaining that I'm already the most important person in the room, I promised not to touch it as long as he promised not to take ALL my blood. A mutual agreement was made and the rest of the blood work experience was quite pleasant. :) 
Following blood work, due to my slightly earlier arrival, I had about an hour and a half before I needed to be on the 6th floor for a chat with the physician. So, off to the Bistro went I. Yummmmmmm. Once I was through enjoying my food, I went up to the 6th floor, with still about an hour to spare, checked in and sat down. Now, to explain what this 6th floor lobby is like.  One whole wall is made up of huge picture windows overlooking Lake Union. Um, can I just say.. Gorgeous. Really, I was so excited to sit there and just soak in the view and read. Yes, of course I was reading. Sense and Sensibility to be exact. Love it! Oh, and to top it all off, this is not some normal waiting room where the chairs are all same and boring... no no, these chairs, RECLINE,, yes, that just happened.
Well, once my viewing pleasure was interrupted by someone hollering my last name, I was led to a little exam room to meet my team nurse and physician. Both very nice ladies. I was informed that I am on team LIME and following my request for a team T-shirt, handed two binders FULL of information and forms that I have until tomorrow to read and sign. Can we say I wasn't expecting the homework? Yes. AND I was firmly denied my TEAM LIME t-shirt. Bummer. Maybe I will make my own. :)
Following the minimal poking, prodding we chatted and I learned two things that both quell thoughts and provoke more. One, my donor is an early twenties gal from the US. Awesome! No future beard for me. :) Two, due to my type of cancer and the state that my bone marrow is currently in, spongy, there is a big possibility that this will be a rougher transition for my new stem cells to adapt to my body. It will take longer and there is a higher possibility of rejection. Woot. :/ Ah well, at least they are aware of that and will do everything in their power to minimize problems. :)
Alright, I think that is enough for today. Yup. More tomorrow! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad things are progressing relatively well. Keep smilin and enjoyin the view and the book, and hopefully they will properly accept you on the team (do the t-shirts come with team numbers also?). :)

    ReplyDelete