Thursday 2 June 2011

Day dos. Not to be confused with Dosday.

Another full blown adventure was had today. I'm currently way past exhausted, so if I misspell or say goofy things, then well, all is normal. :/ Anyhooo. My day today started out with my brother insisting I eat an egg. Never a good way to start the day, but I appreciate his need to get some protein in me. It was rather a delicious breakfast with some yummy toast wrapped around some turkey bacon and that egg. yes, it was well appreciated. :) Thanks Bean. :)
But then it was off to the clinic. I had a full day on my schedule. :) To start it all off - a pulmonary function exam.  And no kidding, my nurse called herself Pulmonary Pat. Love it. Pulmonary Pat walked me through the clinic to a small room that held a chair, a computer, a fake fish tank and a small glass cage like thing. Of course, the first thing Pat does is put me in the glass cage. As I step into this phone-booth reminiscent box, I wonder aloud if the nurses and docs have ever tried to see how many people they could fit in it.

I'm still not 100% sure they haven't, but I received no direct answer, just a story about how PP (Pulmonary Pat) once saw 62 people exit a VW Bug...... What? Hmmmmm..... I'm not so sure about that, but it did the job of distracting me from getting an answer and on we went with the exam. This test was easy peasy mac and cheesy due to my years of singing lessons. Who knew they would prepare me for this, but hey, sweet! I breathed and turned red in the face etc. It was great. There was ONE silly number that was a little too low and so I had to take some meds through an inhaler and try again. Can I just say, I'm not a fan. These meds made me all shaky and dizzy. I asked if I would continue to have to take this inhaler and when PP said no, I didn't even have any air to sigh in relief. Rude. But then, thankfully, the Pulmonary Function was over. :)
On to the Chest X-ray. Only thing I can say about this is thus, and I'm blaming the inhaler meds. As the X-ray tech asked me to turn to my left side, I promptly turned to my right and stood there with a goofy grin on my face like all was right with the world. (Literally) He even had to use the phrase, "Your OTHER left." I thought I turned red in the face during the breathing tests, yah no, this one time won. :) Wow.
So, once that embarrassing moment was over, off to lunch and then an EKG exam. No real excitement there, just ten seconds of sticky circles all over. No biggie, passed with flying colors. :)
Then off to a financial chat. Oy Vey, and last but not least, a chat with another doctor. Fantastic. As he walked in he explained that it was his job today to tell me all the possible "bads" that could happen in and from a transplant. (Oh Goody). So, he proceeded to tell me things that took up a good hour. yup. Then I signed my life away (actually signed my blood and bone marrow away) by agreeing to a bunch of research projects. (Just call me lab rat.) Once my head was full and almost ready to explode, I left feeling dizzy, nauseous and mostly still curious about the phone booth.
But, I am home now, going to go to bed. I have to get up around 5 tomorrow. 715 blood draw followed by another bone marrow biopsy!!! Dunh Dunh DUnh. yes yes. Although this one should be a piece of cake., (Chocolate cake with Cherries) Last time I had a bone marrow biopsy, I went back to work and worked a full day followed directly with a performance of White Christmas. So, to say the least, this one will be easy easy!
So, fare ye all well, and I will chat with you tomorrow.
Oh, wait... just thought that I would share the view from the 6th floor waiting room. It sure is nice. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment