Friday 3 June 2011

Bone Marrow Biopsy Bliss

I have to say one thing to start. These lovely people up here in Seattle at the SCCA, certainly know what they are doing. :) Today's Bone Marrow Aspiration and Biopsy were so easy that I didn't believe the nurse when she said I could go. Seriously, I walked in and was out within about ten minutes. Crazy! Especially, due to my type of cancer, I have VERY hard bones.  She didn't even have to try very hard. I felt like I should have challenged her more. All in all though, I gave her a gigantic BRAVA at the close of our session. :) All others that I have met have also been VERY good, efficient and kind. I get more and more confident and comfortable every time I go to an appointment.
Today was a relatively easy day. Granted it started out at a stinkin' early time of leaving the house about 6:00 in order to make a 7:15 blood draw appointment. From the lab I went upstairs to the Bone Marrow Biopsy, next to a consultation with my dietitian then off to an x-ray of my mouth.
The chat with the dietitian was very informational and made me hungry. And the x-ray of my mouth made me feel like I was about to become part of a video game. There is this big machine that you step into and it spins around your head to take pictures. Kinda cool. :)
All in all a pleasant day at the SCCA. My hip is a bit sore and tender, but that will go away in a couple days. :)Only two or three more biopsies will be needed in this process hopefully. :) Oh, PS, totally forgot. I found out that my donor is actually 19! What a stellar young person. I'm not sure that I even knew what Bone Marrow was at 19, let alone what a transplant was.  19. This means that I will get younger right? That would be fabulous.
Right after my appointments were done I went and signed all my papers to live in the Pete Gross House. I am officially moving in tonight. :) The fella that I have been working with to get my apartment there arranged, greeted me today with a wonderful phrase, "I got you the BEST apartment in the building." hee hee... No really he did. He said that I seemed really nice the first time I came in to take a tour a couple months ago, so he thought he would do me a favor. :) Well, a favor he did..... We are on the top floor, corner unit with beautiful views of both Lake Union and the Space Needle. There's a cute little balcony patio and only one floor down from the rooftop gardens. So wonderful. I promised to make him cookies as a thank you. :) Anyhooooo... my new address is thus: 525 Minor Avenue North, Apt. 601, Seattle, WA 98109. I love to hear from anyone who has the desire to regress to the early 1900s and write a real letter.:) I promise to write back.
Well, tomorrow I will be spending the day with my sister M in Tacoma and her fam. Yay for fun. Heart them. So, I will be off now and hope to have many more adventures come from my appointments next week. :) Thanks again to all of you for your kind words and support, this would be a completely different experience without you. :) Hearts.

2 comments:

  1. So why does this type of bone marrow cancer make your bones stronger? Guess I didn't follow that part very well. (the bibopsy part.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard the same about those folks up at SCCA. They are going to take awesome care of you!!! And yeah, they better have gotten you the best apartment! They have a star in their midst!!!

    ReplyDelete