Wednesday 10 August 2011

My new M.O.

It's seeming to be a pattern in my world lately that Mondays are awesome; we go to the clinic, get blood  drawn, talk to the doctors, this time even met with the nutritionist......... it was a great day. After those appointments, we basically chilled at the apartment still recovering from our crazy weekend. "". :) No really, Monday was the epitome of Mondays. One change was made to me medication, a simple one we thought. No more Morphine. I didn't think this was going to be a big deal since I have been on Morphine so long and it didn't REALLY seem to be making tons of difference anyway, I didn't have all that much pain I needed to manage anymore. :) So, Morphine goodbye. Now, to preface the rest of the story... I had been taking 15mg of slow release (meaning it releases over 12 hours) morphine for around 6 months. 6 months. of morphine. why don't we just stop that cold turkey. ok
So, to stick with my above said M.O. I was sick sick sick on Tuesday. Now I'm gonna get candid here. But I was throwing up every couple hours, diarrhea every hour or so, shaking like I had ants crawling up my drawers, couldn't sleep no way with stomach crampies to boot. Now, first thought to me was.... Man, can't I go ONE week without being ill for most of it!!! This is ridiculous. Then I thought, oh, great, last week it was just Magnesium, this time it's totally GVHD. Fun. Anyhooooo, after many hours of this pattern, we called the clinic and they had us come in to be checked. 
By the time we had gotten to the point of calling the clinic and going there, my mom had looked up the symptoms of morphine withdrawal and we were pretty sure that was the problem, but hey, can't be too careful in my situation so off to the clinic we went.
Turns out that none of my team was around, it being between 430 and 500pm, but the Triage Nurse helped us out and hooked us up with someone that could help. Immediately he tells us that I'm WAY dehydrated. Makes sense since I threw everything up or it came out the other way (sorry), but I needed to be hydrated STAT! So, down to the Infusion clinic I went and laid on a bed for 3 hours getting pumped with a liter and a half of hydration. We had done my hydration at home that morning, which is a liter, but even with that, I was way dehydrated. 
The doctor also agreed that the morphine could be playing a large role in the discomfort so shot me up with some fantastic anti-nausea meds and wrote out of prescription to help me taper the Morphine off over the next week or so. Brilliant. Hanging out in the infusion room felt WAY too much like being in the hospital, but because I have the most awesome mom that will sit there and read a book to me, the time was at least as pleasant as possible being miserable. Did that make sense.
Anyway, Woke up today a new person. It seriously was like night and day. No nausea, no diarrhea, no shakes. I had an appetite and energy. It was amazing!!! So, today, we had a long adventure in the Puyallup/Tacoma area.  We went and toured a placed called the Meeker Mansion. Beautifully restored turn of the century mansion. Lovely, that was very pleasant. Then we went to my sister M's house and chilled just for a bit. Got to see the little baby. She is so stinkin cute. Then off to a used store, Wal-Mart, and Taco Bell for dinner. Just got home a bit ago. Tuckered out for real. :) But, I will take days like today over days like yesterday, ANY DAY. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment