Thursday 3 February 2011

Today and Tomorrow

Well, now that you are all caught up through the diagnosis, I can continue through to the present. :) A little over two weeks ago, I had to call my doctor and ask for some pain medication. I tell ya, it hurts when your SHPLEEN decides to grow.. (and yes, I meant to say SHPLEEN... always have to say that word with a liSHp. :) ) One great thing that comes from and enlarged spleen is the rights it gives you, when someone hugs you too tight or punches you... You are able to say "MY SPLEEN!" I tell ya, it's kinda fun. :)
So, since my SHPLEEN wasn't cooperating, I asked Dr. D for some pain medication and with that he added a bonus gift of a "shreen splinker" (It's impossible for me to say that the proper way.) FANTASTIC!!! Not only am I loopy from pain killers, but I have a drug that literally says on the bottle that you have to wash your hands after handling it....
OK, wait a minute.... I will need to wash my hands thoroughly after placing this pill... IN MY MOUTH... yah, that makes perfect sense :) ah well... all part of the adventure right?
Thankfully, in spite of the oxymoron situation, the shreen splinker is helping. There were a few days there at the beginning that I felt quite good. It was amazing the difference. I hadn't realized really how bad I felt until I didn't feel it anymore. Now, after a couple weeks though, I have had to double my pain medication dose just to make a difference.. guess what comes with double dose of the drugs though..... Double the fun. It's just like Doublemint gum... no really. :) Nah, it's not too bad, but I'm definitely more "spinny" than normal, which has it's own positives and negatives. :)
Anyhoooooooo.... So, TOMORROW... it's the big day. I have my very first appointment scheduled at SCCA (Seattle Cancer Care Alliance). eek... I'm a little nervous. I think mostly because it is ACTUALLY becoming real. There is part of my brain that is still quietly whispering that this is all silliness, this stuff doesn't happen to me.. how ridiculous... :) So, this next appointment is kinda like telling that voice to put a sock in it. :/ This appointment tomorrow will entail meeting my transplant team, the doctor, nurses, my social worker, financial planner person, having a tour of the facilities....etc. Then we get to start discussing DONORS. I feel VERY lucky that I have so many siblings that are healthy and willing to be tested. I am told that siblings are the most likely to match, so props mom and dad.. way to plan for my future. :)
So, I will have to let you all know sometime later this weekend how this new step goes and whether or not I meet McDreamy. :)
Oh, and PS.... If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to type away.. I am MORE than happy to answer any questions. I realize that I have been dealing with this for a couple months now and all this information is in my brain, but I don't always communicate it. So, feel free to ask any questions you want and I will do my best to respond. Thank you all again for your support and well wishes... It truly makes a HUGEEEEMONGO difference. :)

4 comments:

  1. Dani-
    I am glad you are at SCCA...that is a GREAT place! The doctors and nurses there are kind and so helpful! I went there for a 2nd opinion on my thyroid cancer. Keep us posted on what is going on...we are sending hugs and warm thoughts your way!
    ~Cassy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani! Can I see you while you're here?! Maybe? Possibly?! Please oh please!
    I live about 16 miles (30-50 minutes) from SCCA and I would love to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "so props Mom and Dad, way to plan for my future..." Ha ha! I laughed a little! I knew your sibs were there for a purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hip hip horray for the big fam! =)

    ReplyDelete