Friday 18 February 2011

5 WHAT?

Um.... well, today I got an update about my HLA typing. HLA typing is the process they apply to blood to decide who is gonna be my donor. So, me and four of my siblings had blood drawn and it's been "on ice" at SCCA for two weeks now. I have called a few times in the past two weeks to try and see what the status of the typing was and had repeatedly been told that the typing was currently waiting for financial approval. Finally, today, the response from my health insurance came back. They will pay for MY HLA typing, but NOT my sibs.... I'm thinkin', ok, well how much does HLA typing cost? The answer..... 5 grand per person.... (heart attack) 20 THOUSAND DOLLARS to test my siblings to see if they could be my donor..... HOLY CROW!! K, I was expecting a large amount, but certainly NOT that one. Thankfully my financial contact at SCCA has probably been through this before and was patient with my spaz attack.
So, she went on to explain that HER next step is to contact the Lab and see if they can do what is apparently called "Modified HLA Typing". The explanation she gave me of the modified typing is that they will only test a few key points and not rack up the full 5 grand costs, just a portion. They will do a couple of my siblings at a time with the modified. If they can't or won't do the modified typing, then we will just do the regular testing one sibling at a time, money flow permitting. :)
Either way, the joy of the conversation was that I get to pay a chunk o' change and then get on a payment plan to get this started.... woot! :)
Anyhooo... I should know more early next week about what the estimate for the modified testing may cost and whether or not they will do it. :/
Other than that things are going as well as can be expected. :) I am exhausted a good majority of the time, but hey... only thing that would make my world better right now would be the chance to wear pajama pants all the time.. :) Since my spleen is so large and all my bones are so sensitive, I have about three pairs of pants that I can wear that don't cause uber pain... to say the least, I'm sick of those pants. :)
My medication is pretty much regulated with now pain pills every two hours and mild chemo drugs doubled morning and night. Apparently they weren't doing their job and we needed to kick them in the pantaloons. So, I'm feeling better than I was a few weeks back, but still every day is a guessing game.. That really makes for fun.
Well.. I think that's about it. :) I will write again as soon as I know more about this HLA typing issue... sanks for reading!! Sorry I'm not as funny as I used to be.. being funny takes too much energy. :) Love you all and thank you again for all of your support.

1 comment:

  1. News for you...you ARE funny. Always. Sorry to hear about the 5k, yikes! Love ya Dani

    ReplyDelete