Saturday 5 February 2011

I knew it!

Well, yesterday was certainly a long day, but all in all a great one. :) First thing in the morning, my amazing brother B drove me to my appointment at SCCA. We met with Dr. Hootie for 2.5 HOURS! yep, I typed that right... 2.5... to say the least it was a LONG meeting, but very informative. We talked about what exactly a bone marrow transplant is and how it will change things, how long the recovery process will be and what I need to do to prepare. We talked about the fact that I will need to be in Seattle for 3-4 months, which I knew, but it was made official that my brother lives outside the allowed 30-minute limit. The 30-minute limit is a rule, that once you are made outpatient after the transplant, you have to live within 30-minutes of the hospital. This is just so if something happens you can get to the hospital quickly. It makes sense, but there it is... My brother and I had been chatting for quite some time about me living with him, since post transplant I have to have someone with me pretty much 24/7 for those 3 months, and that would be really convenient to be at his house. So, now I am on the search for a suitable place to reside and people to take turns living with me. So, if any of you want to take a vacation (well, if you consider a vacation, hanging out with me all drugged up) let me know and we can work you in the schedule. :) jk...
So, after the ever so long meeting with Hootie, we met with the financial people...ouch. Then a quick tour of the facility, then blood tests... good times were had.. I mean it. :) Thankfully, two of my siblings were here in Seattle and were able to come in to SCCA and get tested to see if they could possibly be my donor. I am SO grateful that i have these amazing siblings. All 5 of them each bring a different amazing element into my life and to my recovery. They are pretty much fantastic... and yes, I taught them each how to be that way. :) So, after 6 or so hours at SCCA, we vamoosed and thankfully, the weather in Seattle was wonderful. A little on the chilly side, but no rain, not a ton of wind.. it was great.
So, me, a couple of my sibs, momsy and 8 nieces and nephews went down to Pike Street and wandered. What a fun place, especially with all the chillen.. they got their picture taken by the bronze pig, got candy legos at the sweet shop, mini doughnuts with sprinkles, and amazing cheese curds with herbs. One thing that dawned on me yesterday was really how much I love Seattle. Well, this part of Washington in general. Not that I will spend TONS of time roaming about post transplant, but when I get the chance, I'm glad that it will be in a pretty place. :)
Well, now, what the future holds is waiting. It should take about 3 weeks to type my siblings blood (2 more are being tested next week), then depending on the results we can either move forward with the transplant, or wait more to find an unrelated donor. We did find out that to find an unrelated donor can take at minimum 4-5 months, so cross your fingers one of my siblings is close enough. Not that ANY of them would ever freely admit that they have always wanted to be just like me, but.....maybe one of them is. :)
For today, I am hanging with part of my amazing family, cheering on my niece at her basketball game, singing with my mother at another niece's baptism and all in all, relaxing and enjoying the company of these wonderful people.
So, until I hear more intersting information or develop some new side effect from my medication, you can all take a break from my ramblings. :) Thank you again for all of your support and well wishes. :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh Danielle! Long time no talk! I'm so sorry to hear all about this tough time you're going through right now. My prayers are most definitely with you and your family. I wanted to let you know that I would be more than willing to get tested for you. I know that you will probably have more luck with your siblings, but I would love to help! I also wanted to let you know that my husband and I live in Everett which is only about 20 minutes away from SCCA, and I also work in North Seattle so I am fairly close every week day. If I can be of any assistance whether it be helping you where you are staying or if you need to stay with us for a week or so or whatever please let me know! My thoughts are with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So of course I forgot to give you my phone number. It's (206) 778-9410
    Feel free to gimme a call or just text me!

    ReplyDelete