Tuesday 1 February 2011

The beginning......

Ok, well, we can't be 100% sure when the beginning of all this really was, but I will start at the beginning of THIS story.... :) Ahem.....I was born at a very young age.. just kidding. It began when I went to my Doctor for my yearly physical. (just as a side note... I want to encourage ALL of you to get a physical done EVERY year! It's amazing how many people I have come across since this all started that have been diagnosed with intense life-threatening diseases, but they caught them way early because they were found during a yearly physical.) Ok, done with the soap box. :)
October 27, 2010 I had blood labs done in anticipation for my physical on November 2. When I went to my actual physical a week later on the 2nd, my doctor mentioned that there were some abnormalities with my White Blood Cells. Other than that I was as healthy as a horse (whatever that means). So, she wasn't TOO concerned, thinking it was probably just an infection or a cold or what not... I let her know that I had NOT been feeling sick, but hey, with my schedule at that time, I didn't have a moment of time to notice if I was sick or NOT, so I went with it. :)
She just wanted to be sure, so we waited a couple weeks and I had another set of blood tests. November 25th, the day after I had this second set of labs, my doctor called and told me that my White Blood Cells were still a little hinky so she wanted to refer me to an hematologist/oncologist. She still said she wasn't too worried, but being the AMAZING docca that she is, she just wanted to make sure.... I need to send her a muffin basket... :)
Now, my mind was kinda weirded out by this... I hadn't ever had hinky blood before.. what the who? I was thinking that what she meant by abnormal White Blood Cells was an abnormally high Cell Count.. So, Google here I come... what did I find? Everything in the world can cause I high white blood cell count. So NOT helpful. :) And then I thought, well what does a Hemato. hetamoph... hephamo... hematologicalisistal even do??? I CERTAINLY knew what Oncologist meant and that didn't comfort me AT ALL... but hey, I rolled with it.
So, December 7, 2010 I go to meet my Hematologist/Oncologist.. the AMAZING Dr. Dan. :) Dunh Dunh Dunh............ no really, he's pretty fanulous. :) Well, when I first sat down with Dr. Dan he kinda looked confused and asked me why I thought I was there.... um..... my doctor told me to come? (make sure you read that in a very childish nervous voice. Most important) He said that he had looked at my blood and he wasn't too concerned about anything. Worst case scenario, I MIGHT be SLIGHTLY anemic... :) But, because my personal doctor wanted a follow-up he decided that I should have MORE blood drawn (and when I say more, I mean like 103 viles of my blood/at least it seemed like that) and have an ultrasound to look at my spleen. So, after I had been completely drained of all blood, I left, thinking, no biggie.... anemia.. meh. The next day I had my ultrasound.... First, weird squishy gel on my belly and ribs is SO NOT the most comfortable thing, let alone, from all the poking and prodding from the day before my flabs (as I call my abs) were really sore. So, I let the nurse know where it hurt the most and she proceeded to poke harder ONLY in those spots, but hey... whaddya gonna do? So, long story, but in the end, the nurse had to go get the radiologist (bad sign) and they came and informed me, with those morose faces you see on Grey's Anatomy and House, that my spleen was "quite enlarged" oh, and by the way, you have Gallstones and should probably have your gallbladder out..... (side note).... So, fat spleen, belly stones, and hinky blood.... this is turning out to be some "healthy horse"............To be continued.........

1 comment:

  1. Dani, so glad you started a blog about this whole crazy thing! LOVE hearing your voice via green type. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. The boys had a food fight the other day and it made my think of our epic cookie battle of 199#! Love you. Call me when you aren't out conquering the world and all things barely diagnosable!

    ReplyDelete