Wednesday 2 February 2011

The Continuation......

And so.... we continue. :) The day after the ultrasound I got a call from the VERY confused Dr. Dan. Seriously, he was quite surprised by the results. So, since there were definite abnormalities in my blood and I had a fat spleen, he wanted to go forward and figure out what this was by doing a bone marrow biopsy. Um..... the ONLY thing that I knew about bone marrow biopsies was that they HURT.... that's all anyone told me. Pain pain, and oh, a little more pain. yippers... to say the least, I was STOKED! :) But, I asked my amazing docca and he said that it was a short 10-15 minute procedure that he does right in the regular exam room and I should be up and limping and able to go back to my day. So, the trusting person that I am.. December 10, I went to MSTI and had a hole drilled into my hip. Actually, it wasn't too bad... I even laughed a couple times because the nurse was quite the crack-up. Dr. D had to keep pausing while I giggled because of course, my amazing flabs, whenever I laugh and I'm laying on my stomach, my whole body moves... it's quite hilarious really. :) At this same appointment he did chat with me about what he was seeing in my blood and his thoughts on the matter.. just non-chalantly throwing out words like Lymphoma, Leukemia.... no biggie :) But he DID tell me that he THOUGHT it was CML.. a certain type of Leukemia that is actually quite treatable with a pill. So, I left that appointment with all different kinds of thoughts in my brain, but honestly still feeling very positive and upbeat.
Now, post biopsy came the roughest and toughest part.... the "hurry-up and wait" part. Dr. D told me that I would probably have my results back within the next week. However, that was so NOT what happened... I had an appointment scheduled for December 17th to meet with him and chat about the results, but me being the ever so patient that I am, called them on the 15th to see if they knew anything yet.... I'm SO NOT good at waiting.
Well, when I called, I found out that Dr. D had found some "interesting" things in my marrow and needed to send it off to Stanford to be tested further. (Oh good :/) Then I was informed that it was more than likely that they wouldn't have my results back for another week (hopefully). So, we rescheduled the appointment for December 23 in the afternoon, crossing our fingers that the results would be back by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment