Wednesday 28 September 2011

I'm a mixture of nerves and excitement and relief.....

Today is the day that I get my Hickman Central Line removed. I'm a little nervous about this to say the least. From what my doctors have been telling me, the procedure of removing the line is as follows: Wrap the exposed portion around the doctors hand and yank. Ummmmmm......... no deadening of the area, no pain meds, nuthin. They have compared it to tying a string to a loose tooth, distracting the child and pulling. Bah! One consolation is that the doctor that put the thing in me is the one removing it, so at least I have confidence in him and his abilities. I just don't have confidence in MY abilities to not scream bloody murder. Maybe they have leather straps for me to put between my teeth to chomp on to avoid the yelling. Hmmm.. I will have to ask. :/ So, yah 3:15 today my central line gets yanked. Fun for me. Now, don't get me wrong. I a SO stoked that I don't have to go home with the thing still attached. There for a while there was that possibility. I am very pleased that it will be gone and all the annoyance that comes with it will be gone. That will be nice. I am just currently nervous about the removal of said object. But, I will be tough and deal with it eh? Cause that is what I do. :) tee hee. :)
Post said procedure I will have some well deserved rest time, but just for a bit. B&B are taking my momsy and I out to dinner as a farewell outing. I am excited to see the boys and I am excited to eat some uber delicious food! It will be interesting to see how I feel. I'm sure all will be dandy. I've been told that people are out and about going and doing within half an hour of having their lines yanked. So, since I'm slightly abnormal in EVERY way, I will give myself an hour. :/ I will have to blab tomorrow to let you know how it went eh? Eh. :)
Now, to go backwards, H just left on Monday night. She had been here since Wednesday night last. :) What a busy and fun weekend we had!!! We went to Pike Place Market, the Seattle Aquarium, the General Relief Society Broadcast (which was fantastic), and on a Harbor Cruise. So much fun was had. I mean really. H and I could just sitting still and still end up having too much fun and laughing way too much. :) It was beyond fun to have her around. She cracks me up. :) But I do have to say, when she left, I crashed. I was so tired yesterday. But I had my Transfusion meeting and my Departure meeting. Now, weirdness news for the day from both meetings. From the Transfusion meeting I learned that in the case that I needed a blood or platelet transfusion, when they take my blood to determine what type of blood to give me....... My blood type is O positive when you take it from the blood stream, but my organs and such still show a B blood type. WHat???? no I'm serious. It's weird. But here's the weirdness from the Departure Conference. My DNA. Yup, I have two types of DNA for the rest of my life. Blood will show my donors DNA, but if they did a mouth swab or took it from any other bodily fluid, MY original DNA I was born with. What the WILD!!!! The amazingness of science and medicine. Anyhoo. Just thought I would share that neat info. :) That's it for now. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment