Friday 29 April 2011

Now, I'm all of a sudden nervous.......

I found out some pretty exciting news today. :) But for some reason, all it has done is make me kinda nervous. That's weird. I am going to say that it's because it's hard to go from "hurry up and wait" to, ok, it is really happening. So, here's the news:
I spoke with my Donor Search Coordinator this morning. Originally I was just curious as to what stage the search was, but she had much more information than I could have hoped.  Turns out that they have found 3 exact matches through the National Donor Marrow Program. EXACT matches. Apparently that is rare on the first round. The way it usually works is they can find "potential matches" people that match anywhere between 6-9 of the genetic points. Then, they contact those people and have them do blood tests and continue the testing to see if they will match all 10 of the required points. So, to find 1 EXACT match right off is amazing, but 3? My coordinator was very excited for me. :)
So, now, the Attending Physician of the search lab will double check the findings, make sure that these 3 really are EXACT matches currently, then write a letter to Dr. Z over at MSTI. Once Dr. Z gives his go ahead on moving forward toward a transplant, I will get a phone call and actually schedule my transplant! Eeeek! I could potentially have the DATE of my transplant on paper in the next couple weeks. Granted, it could still be a couple months before the actual transplant, but just to have an actual date will be so crazy! wow.
So, once the go-ahead is given, the donors will be contacted and re-tested. There is a possibility that something has changed. Whether that be willingness to donate or they themselves may have contracted a disease of some kind. My coordinator says that it is highly unlikely that all 3 will have problems, so that's a good sign. They have located 8 potential matches as well if we need to go that route, but it's looking good for the current matches. :) Yay. Once it is determined that the 3 matches are still "blood healthy" they will have to go through a rigorous health screening to make sure that they will be able to handle the drugs and the stress of donating marrow. and then...... and then....... guess what????? Then they will give me their marrow.... yay.
I can't believe how quickly the outlook can change. I was just thinking LAST NIGHT that I may have to just deal with the fact that it could be a LONG time before I get any movement forward in this process.... I was even worried about not having enough information to put on my blog to not bore all of YOU! No really, I thought that. Well, apparently I will continue to have new info moving forward. So, here's goes nothing. :)

5 comments:

  1. Dani!!!! That is the BEST news ever! I love you and you are ALWAYS in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessss! Such great news for my favorite goof! I just had a wild thought, maybe I'm one of the three mathces. Pick me! Pick me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani, I'm excited for you. I pray for you all the time. I hope this works out and I can't wait to hear until you ACTUALLY have a transplant date. WAHOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thrilling news. My prayers are with you. Jan Bates

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are happy for you and pray often for you and the donors.
    We found out our Bishop's wife had the same kind of operation 6 years ago. She still is not 100% with her immune system. Love from the Blankenships

    ReplyDelete